Time for another Weekly Update! This one comes late again because my Friday was busy and wonderful.
Once again, my writing week has been a little lacking…
And it looks like it’s going to stay that way next week, because I have a lot of work due.
I did submit to UNCW’s Randall Library’s annual flash fiction contest, with a piece I am very proud of! The theme was “public art” and the piece had to mention Randall Library, so it was a fun challenge.
And, of course, my creative writing classes keep me busy producing short fiction, which includes more short pieces that I’ve enjoyed. I usually don’t write short fiction (I’m more of a novelist at heart, if you couldn’t tell), so being able to write short pieces I actually like is a big step for me.
This week I’m finishing up the last of my scholarship applications and peeking at my schedule for next year. (Early, I know, but I’m also a bit of an obsessive planner.) I was especially excited for the Fall 2016 semester because the Honors College at UNCW has historically offered an interdisciplinary seminar called “Write A Novel In A Month”… a NaNoWriMo class. I would have taken it last fall, except that freshmen aren’t allowed to take the interdisciplinary seminars. The class is taught by local writer Dana Sachs.
While I was looking at the course listings, though, I saw that the title of Ms. Sachs’s course has changed to “Research and the Fiction Writer.” I’m sure that topic would be just as fantastic, but I’m also still quietly hoping that Ms. Sachs still incorporates NaNoWriMo. I mean, how awesome would it be to get class credit for NaNo?
Highlights of this week:
- My lovely friend/mentor, Mary, had a Super Bowl party on Sunday night that was lots of fun. #keeppounding
- I was accepted as a junior member of Sigma Tau Delta, the English honor society.
- On Tuesday, I went to a student speed dating event. It was a lot more fun than I expected and I ended up with a couple of matches.
- On Thursday, I had my first economics exam, and it went really well. I also got to go to yoga.
- I had an opportunity to go to Adoration, followed by dinner and a bonfire with s’mores, with my church family. Also, Mary fell through her chair by the bonfire and we all died laughing.
- I went to Defy Gravity with the Atlantis staff on Friday night. Cardio and fun—two birds, one stone.
Happy early Valentine’s Day, everyone!